[PlanetCCRMA] Nvidia Driver with fc12 Testing Kernel

stuff stuff at johnadon.com
Sat Jun 19 21:46:12 PDT 2010

Hello, All-

I've been unable to compile the kernel module for my NVIDIA graphics
adapter against the kernel in the testing repo
(2.6.33-1.rt7.1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64.rt). It appears to fail when the
nvidia nv.c looks for "next" in one of the kernel source files.
NV_Linux_State-t has no member named "next". The kernel module compiles
fine with any other kernel I've tried.

I've been wanting to try the testing kernel for quite awhile because I
have numerous ardour crashes (especially after recording and then
ctl-scrolling) and kernel errors, as well, although those don't really
seem to relate to jack/ardour/etc since they just happen randomly. I'd
like to see if the issue might be fixed in the testing repo version, but
I can't currently compile the proprietary nvidia kernel module against
the testing repo source. I've tried just about everything else, e.g.
checking keybinding conflicts with window manager, etc., to correct the
ardour crashes without success, even when in a stripped down fluxbox
environment. The kernel errors don't really appear to have any effect on
anything I do anywhere so I'm considering them benign. I'm more
interested in fixing the problems in ardour. Losing a recorded region
shortly after recording is quite an annoyance to say the least. :-)

Does anyone have any hints or tips? Am I trying to do something that's
specifically denied in the source for the nvidia driver or testing kernel?

Thanks for any info!

John