[PlanetCCRMA] RT Kernel cannot build nvidia driver using akmods

Sat Jul 10 17:37:25 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 15:35 -0500, stuff wrote:
> I still had problems with ardour crashing even after using the patch and
> successfully compiling the NVidia kernel module. The kernel crashes
> almost always mention the NVidia driver, although the kernel crashes
> didn't really appear to affect anything.

Could you post the messages related to the crash that appear in the
output of dmesg? (not that it would be useful, if the nvidia binary
driver is linked into the kernel nobody will even try to make sense of
the problem).

> I was mainly desperately looking for something that would keep ardour
> alive in any FC12 RT kernel. I've switched to using a standard Fedora
> kernel for now with the NVidia driver with no kernel crashes or ardour
> problems. I plan to return to the RT kernels once I figure this thing
> out. I haven't had any performance problems using the standard Fedora
> kernels, but I haven't done a whole lot of heavy duty processing
> recently either. I don't think the NVidia driver had anything to do with
> my ardour crashes, though, because I've used the standard nouveau(?)
> driver with the RT kernels and still had problems with ardour. BTW, I've
> tried out the SVN ardour in all situations with the same results as with
> the Fedora ardour release.
>
> I'm going to keep investigating because I'm anxious to get back to the
> RT kernels.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get detailed messages on ardour crashes?

I think there are instructions here:

  http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour

Right after ardour crashes, is there anything in the output of dmesg or
in /var/log/messages that seems relevant?

This is very strange... which version of ardour are you running?
-- Fernando