[PlanetCCRMA] Questions that might be able to be added to the FAQs

Tue Jan 26 08:52:43 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 09:28 -0500, Robert Vogel wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 13:02 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > Wow, those ellipses worry me. I hope I didn't offend?
> >
> > Not at all!
> >
> Looking at the CCRMA website a couple of months ago, it appeared that
> Fedora 10 was the bet initial install for CCRMA. That's how I installed
> it on my quad core AMD 64 machine. But now it keeps reminding me that
> Fedora 11 upgrades are available. Should I let it do the upgrade ? or
> would it be better to do a fresh install ?

I have done both. If you do an upgrade you can either use preupgrade or
upgrade from a dvd. There will be some left over packages after the
upgrade, you should use package-cleanup --problems and package-cleanup
--orphans for help on that (there are guides online for upgrades and
their gotchas). It is not as hard as it used to be. A clean install is
of course, well, cleaner :-)

> I'm about to try assembling a new machine and I am having trouble
> figuring out which soundcard would be best for a PlanetCCRMA install. It
> seems like the ones best supported by alsa are no longer available
> readily. Do you have a preference ?

I can only tell you about the ones we have at ccrma. The Midiman Delta
PCI line is good (most of our workstations use the Delta 66 + OmniIO
combination but those are no longer manufactured). I also have had good
experiences with the Echo Layla 3G and Gina 3G. In the studios we have
the RME line of cards, expensive but very nice.

> Your paper on 'noiseless computers' is excellent. Could you recommend a
> parts list that you would prefer to use if you were configuring a new
> machine today ?

Sigh, no, not really. Things change way too fast for me to have a list I
could share. Out last upgrade was at the end of 2008[*] so anything I
might have chosen at the time is now officially obsolete :-)

-- Fernando

[*] hmmm, I'd stay away from Gigabyte mobos, the specs are usually great
but we've had long term problems twice.