[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 12, real-time kernel and Nvidia : yes we can

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:17:02 PST 2010

> Does anyone know what method I should be using to get an NVidia card
> running opengl on FC 9? (Telling me to upgrade the video card and all
> will be solved is also a reasonable answer.)

You can also rebuild the rpmfusion kmod.  Make sure you have the
kernel-rt-devel package installed, and the rpmfusion repository
enabled, and that you are booted into the kernel you want to build the
package for.

You will need the source rpm for kmod-nvidia-173xx , which you might
be able get by running

yumdownloader --source kmod-nvidia-173xx

install the resulting .src.rpm, go to the specs folder of your build
tree (probably ~/rpmbuild/SPECS), and run

'rpmbuild -ba --define "kernels $(uname -r)" --target i686 \
nvidia-kmod.spec'

(or whatever the spec file is named).

Then

yum localinstall --nogpgcheck

on the rpm file that the above process hopefully produced -- it will
probably be in ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686/

I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants with this advice here,
since I actually skipped straight from Fedora 8 to Feodra 12, and I
might be skipping a step or to besides, so let me know if this doesn't
work at all for Fedora 9.

Matt