[PlanetCCRMA] supercollider libscsynth.so

Fri Jan 22 10:48:51 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 10:00 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 16:18 -0800, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> > I should have said something about this a long time ago.
> >
> > I haven't been able to run supercollider in 64 bit forever and gave up trying.
> >
> > Now that SC mentioned it, I tried yum install supercollider on my fedora 11 x86_64 here
> > and I got exactly the same message as SC (it wanted the i586 versions instead of i686).
> >
> > It would be nice if it worked on 64 bit.  After a while I just started to assume it didn't.
>
> SC is problematic. The language itself (sclang) works only on 32 bit
> linux, not 64 bit. The synthesis engine (scsynth) works on both 32 and
> 64 bit linux. I had never tried to make that work, I think it does in
> Ubuntu. The idea would be to run the language 32 bit and the rest on 64
> using mixed libraries. It does not appear to work.
>
> The problem you are all seeing is a result of a packaging mistake (wrong
> mixed 32/64 bit provides). I just did a rebuild to fix that manually but
> I can't make things work either - it installs now but does not run.
>
> When trying to start sclang (which is the same package as the 32 bit
> version) it complains about not findinf libscsynth.so. Reasonable as
> that is now in /usr/lib64 and not /usr/lib. Adding a
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64 to the startup line brings up a "wrong ELF
> class: ELFCLASS64" error message. So it would seem it does need a 32 bit
> scsynth as well...

I have released another iteration of the package that splits libscsynth
into a separate package. That allows the install to proceed and sclang
starts in a fc12 chroot - that's my only test so far.

Let me know if it actually works (I don't currently have a real 64 bit
install to test).