[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 12, real-time kernel and Nvidia : yes we can

Roger Dannenberg rbd at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 22 09:58:48 PST 2010

I'm trying to get OpenGl running on a planetccrma Fedora 11 system with
an (old) GeForce FX 5500. I found this post from Dec suggesting
installing/using Nvidia drivers with AKMOD:

That page says  to do:

yum install akmod-nvidia-173xx xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173xx-libs.i686

but I get the error:

No package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173xx-libs.i686 available.

This is followed by complaints about package conflicts. I've been
searching around and trying various things including Nvidia's binary (I
think that's how I got this card to work on my previous (old) Red Hat
kernel.) The Nvidia binary installs source code but it doesn't compile.
I'm thinking about trying to fix the code, but my guess is that there is
some fundamental incompatibility somewhere.

There are so many apparent ways to do this, I don't know if I'm picking
the wrong one, or I'm doing the right thing but just have a missing file
or some other problem to solve.

Does anyone know what method I should be using to get an NVidia card
running opengl on FC 9? (Telling me to upgrade the video card and all
will be solved is also a reasonable answer.)

Thanks,
Roger