[PlanetCCRMA] The all-ALSA, PulseAudio-free FC12; asoundconf

Peter Kirn peter at createdigitalmedia.net
Wed Jan 20 07:43:11 PST 2010

Thanks to everyone for your help on my earlier issue. Despite the work
done on making PulseAudio coexist better (specifically with JACK), I'm
liking so far working without PA. It seems there's a terrific FAQ on
the subject here:
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds

-- including how to address PA issues *without* removing PA, but also
a complete PA removal process. And it seems that Fedora, unlike
Ubuntu, can pretty effectively excise PA via its packages and one
config change, so it should be reasonable to revert to reinstalling PA
if for some reason you changed your mind.

My next question:

I thought asoundconf was part of ALSA itself, but it seems specific to
Debian. That is, it's a Debian-specific addition to alsa-utils. When
working with more than one sound card, you definitely want some sort
of script for swapping them. ALSA itself has documentation for making
such a script, but I wonder if there's any reason I shouldn't try
"porting" asoundconf from Debian to Fedora? Anyone tried this, or do
you just use your own scripts for swapping cards? (Or do you just, you
know, use one card? I guess if you only ever run audio apps that allow
you to switch interfaces, this isn't an issue!)

Peter