[PlanetCCRMA] laptop audio interface suggestions

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 08:48:38 PST 2010

On 02/04/2010 01:52 PM, francis keyes wrote:
> Hey Daniel,
>
> Thanks for pointing the RME stuff out to me.  The Multiface with
> Express card option looks like it will do the trick...  and I agree
> with you in that I don't mind paying decent money for hardware that
> works well.  My question:  is there a software interface for these
> cards in Linux?  I currently use An M-Audio Delta-1010 with Jack and
> Ardour.  The Envy24control program is really nice for controlling
> level and routing in the Delta 1010, I'm wondering what exists for the
> RME stuff or how you manage this type of thing.
Yes. The alsa-tools package contains two programs: hdspmixer and
hdspconf. They almost exactly mirror an older version of the Windows
HDSP tools, though the "matrix" mixer option is missing and the card
configuration dialog is laid out a bit differently. These tools are
maintained by faberman, who sometimes lurks in #ardour, #lad and #jack
on freenode.

And thank you for buying an interface from a vendor who (more or less)
supports Linux. In addition to supporting on-going FOSS development, it
makes our lives easier since you will have fewer headaches down the road.

David