[PlanetCCRMA] [mididings] Building mididings on Fedora 12

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 15:15:05 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 04:37:06 Niels Mayer wrote:
> Following the installation instructions at
> http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/ I've
> built and installed mididings on Fedora 12
> (2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64) with python-2.6.2-4.fc12.x86_64. I had to
> make one small change in setup.py to get it to build and install
> successfully. I have not tested it yet, however.
>
> (2) Building: gets an error "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_thread"
> even though boost-thread-1.39.0-9.fc12.x86_64 installed.

The names of the boost libraries changed some time ago, adding the "-mt"
suffix. I'm not sure exactly at which boost version that happened, and I
suspect this might also depend on the distribution (for example, my
Ubuntu install has both libboost_thread.so and libboost_thread-mt.so as
symlinks).

Unfortunately, boost doesn't provide pkg-config info (or anything
similar), so the mididings setup script tries to guess the correct name
by searching /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib.
It doesn't look in /usr/lib64 however, so it seems that on a 64 bit
system no library is found, and boost_thread is used as a fallback.

Could you check if mididings builds correctly if you revert the change
you made, and instead add '/usr/lib64' to the list of directories
searched (setup.py, line 48)?

Thanks,

Dominic