[PlanetCCRMA] Please help with hpet1: lost 2 rtc interrupts

Geoff King gsking1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:55:06 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm a new user of Fedora 12 CCRMA and am quite impresssed - thanks for
the great overlay.  I've come from a few years of Ubuntu and am trying
to settle into a more dedicated audio workstation setup.  Anyway -
this may be more of a general linux question, but do you know why I
occasionally get these in the dmesg log:

hpet1: lost 2 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 4 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 3 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 3 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 2 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 3 rtc interrupts
hpet1: lost 2 rtc interrupts

For example, these were in the dmesg log after playing with Muse
yesterday.  I think I have seen these before with Rosegarden and on
Ubuntu also in the past.  I've set the rtc clock like this...

 chmod 666 /dev/rtc0
 echo 1024 >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq

Qjackctl/Jackd was running and everything else seemed smooth.   The
system is 32bit Fedora 12 w CCRMA realtime kernel
(2.6.31.12-1.rt20.1.fc12.ccrma.i686.rt).  Big hard drives and 2GB
memory.  akmod to build the nvidia drivers. M2496 audio and a variety
of other things...

It has been suggested that this could be a motherboard issue not being
able to provide accurate timing?  Any other ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, Geoff