[PlanetCCRMA] 8Ch USB Soundcard

sevol sevols.ear at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 02:45:34 PDT 2009

On 10/9/09, Felix Pfeifer <pfeifer.felix at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> is there anyone using a 8 Channel (or more) USB-Soundcard
> with planet ccrma? I read the alsa soundcard matrix and found
> support for Edirols UA 101, but it seams the driver is very
> experimental. Anyone got an idea wich interface i should by?
>
> greets
> Felix

Hi Felix,

If you need to record from all 8 channels using Linux I don't think
you'll have luck with any USB soundcard. Under Linux only USB 1 is
available because there's no USB 2 standard. Hence, every device
manufacture does things a bit different - so, no USB 2 Linux modules.
I think USB 1 throughput will safely allow 2 (or maybe 4?) channels at
most.

Your best bet is going firewire. Focusrite has at least one 8 channel
soundcard. There's others too. have a look at the Ffado device support
list. You can check what's supported & working for people here:
http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list

happy hunting,
                             -s