[PlanetCCRMA] priority, etc.

Sun Oct 4 16:11:46 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 12:46 -0400, Elliott Chapin wrote:
> Dear Fernando et al. -
>
> Until recent updates I was having a fine time with CCRMA rt/Jack under
> FC11.

Do you know/remember which version were you running when all was fine?

> There seem to be various problems now, and I am not sure whether
> they come from the rt kernel, CCRMA Jack or alsa; or that they are just
> out of sync.

It'd be good to have a list of problems. This is too generic a
description to try to answer.

> As a starter, the other day F. questioned priority of 89 but did not
> give a good lower number.

I think a good number would be 72. For some reason I found that the
default priority of the latest Planet CCRMA jack builds is incorrect
(too low at 10), I have to look at that - something is not being patched
correctly.

If you are running the rt kernel, check the output of:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/rtirq status

That will give you the priorities of all rt tasks at the kernel level.
You want Jack to run just below the priority of the interrupt threads
for the soundcard or soundcards, and above the rest of the interrupts.

That's the ideal situation (sometimes impossible when the soundcard
shares the interrupt with something else).

> The most interesting Qjackctl error message was "cannot connect to
> server socket".

It'd be nice to take a look at the complete error messages.