[PlanetCCRMA] libsndfile

Sun Oct 4 16:03:58 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 15:14 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:38 AM, David Nielson  wrote:
> > Ardour3 has, for a long time, required version 1.0.18 of libsndfile
> > (which has been out for a while now.) Ardour2 recently started requiring
> > it if you're going to build it yourself. Fedora is still offering 1.0.17
> > in its repositories, though libsndfile is up to 1.0.20 now.
> >
> > Can I request CCRMA make a package available of the newer version? Is
> > that a bad idea? Should I pester Fedora about it? If so, where do I make
> > the request?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David Nielson
> >

> libsndfile-1.0.20 will be on Fedora-12.
>
> I suspect that it is ABI incompatible with libsndfile-1.0.17 and thus
> updating libsndfile in stable releases of Fedora would require a
> rebuilding of everything that depends on libsndfile. Therefore even
> having a package in PlanetCCRMA would break things on the Fedora side.
>
> Of course this analysis assumes ABI incompatibility.

I would be _very_ surprised if it broke abi compatibility.
I'd ask on the libsndfile lists or directly in LAU or LAD...

> You can still try
> your chances by filing a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com.

That'd be the thing to do. While I could throw a quick build I'd rather
go through the proper channels in Fedora, otherwise there's no advantage
of packages migrating to Fedora (and I _do_ really prefer that :-)