[PlanetCCRMA] The JACK Story

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 19:02:05 PST 2009

There was a recent attempt [1] in the Fedora devel list to discuss
what to do with jack1 and jack2. But there was not much feedback.
Upstream just released 0.118.0 and 1.9.4. So they don't seem like they
are dumping jack1 for the time being.

Currently we have jack1 in Fedora and jack2 in planetccrma. But these
can't be installed in parallel. I would like to hear some opinions
here. Which one do you folks use? Do you alternate for specific tasks?
Would you like to have them parallelly installable? We can achieve
parallel installation via "alternatives". This is actually what some
packages do in Fedora, the most popular example being java. It would
work in the following way:

$ sudo alternatives --config jack

  Selection    Library
   1          jack-0.118.4
 * 2          jack-1.9.4

The questions boil down to:

- Is it worth the effort to adapt "alternatives"?
- Shall we keep things this way?
- Move the jack2 package to Fedora?

Cheers,
Orcan