[PlanetCCRMA] problem on fedora 10, CCRMA, jack and terratec 22

Gabriel linux at gabriel-striewe.de
Wed Nov 18 10:28:56 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:48:24AM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 01:58 +0100, linux at gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have just today started using CCRMA. I installed the distribution
> > using your installation notes (installing fedora 10, yum update,
> > adding ccrma repo, installing ccrma).
> >
> > According to lspci, my soundcard is:
> >
> > 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
> > [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
> >
> > Now, when I start jack using "jackd -R -dalsa", every few minutes I
> > get the error:
> >
> > ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999959 usecs
> > JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle
> >
> > And when in qjackctl I try to connect audio system input to output, it
> > doesn't do anything, just in the shell window in which I started jack:
> >
> > JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 1 port_dst = 3
> > JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 2 port_dst = 4
> >
> > which seems strange to me, since it doesn't show the connections in
> > qjackctl.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards says:
> >
> > 0 [ICE1724        ]: ICE1724 - ICEnsemble ICE1724
> >                       ICEnsemble ICE1724 at 0xe800, irq 17
> >
> > I hope those error messages can give you a hint about what is
> > wrong. If there is any other output I can give you, please help..
>
> Hmmmm, strange. The error message would suggest some sort of ALSA (the
> sound driver) problem. Does it happen only once?
>
> What happens if you use different parameters?
>   jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 1024 -n 3
>
> You can also try starting jack from within qjackctl (set the parameters
> in the "Setup" tab. Then press the "Start" button and check the messages
> in the "Messages" pane. Start a simple jack client like Hydrogen, load
> one of the demo patterns and connect the audio outputs in qjackctl to
> the system outputs. You might need to tweak input/output levels in
> alsamixer (or better yet, in envy24control - but I don't remember if
> 1724 based cards are supported).
>
> -- Fernando

Well, I did set up both cards in my system now. But the ICE1724 is
still not working. When I start jackd with the parameters you gave me

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -p 1024 -n 3

(hw:1 because I have two soundcards, as "cat /proc/asound" says:

 0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
                      C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0xe800, irq 17
 1 [ICE1724        ]: ICE1724 - ICEnsemble ICE1724
                      ICEnsemble ICE1724 at 0xe000, irq 19

... I still have every 30 seconds the following message:

ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999267 usecs
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle

And when, as you told me to, I start hydrogen, it does not make a
connection to the system output. With my cmedia card this works fine,
it makes the connection automatically on startup of hydrogen, and I
can disconnect and reconnect. But my the ICE1724, it does not do
anything, even if in qjackctl I try to connect hydrogen output to
system output.

I tried to find the problem on an alsa level. And I see that in the
alsamixer (as well as alsamixer-gui) I cannot unmute the cards.

I can give you the amixer-output of both cards:

for my first card (the cmedia):

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 28 [90%]
  Front Right: Playback 28 [90%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Synth',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 30 [97%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 30 [97%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line-In Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Line-In' 'Rear Output' 'Bass Output'
  Item0: 'Line-In'
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume cvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31 Capture 0 - 7
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture 7 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic-In Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Mic-In' 'Center/LFE Output'
  Item0: 'Center/LFE Output'
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 7
  Mono: Playback 7 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 5V',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Copyright',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Monitor',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Phase Inverse',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Select',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Valid',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Loop',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 3
  Mono: Playback 3 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 15
  Front Left: Playback 15 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 15 [100%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Four Channel Mode',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

--- and now for the second card (the ICE 1724):

Simple mixer control 'Multi Track Internal Clock',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: '8000' '9600' '11025' '12000' '16000' '22050' '24000' '32000' '44100' '48000' 'IEC958 Input'
  Item0: 'IEC958 Input'
Simple mixer control 'Multi Track Peak',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right - Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right - Rear Center - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right - Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right - Rear Center - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
  Limits: 0 - 255
  Front Left: 0 [0%]
  Front Right: 0 [0%]
  Rear Left: 0 [0%]
  Rear Right: 0 [0%]
  Front Center: 0 [0%]
  Woofer: 0 [0%]
  Side Left: 0 [0%]
  Side Right: 0 [0%]
  Rear Center: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
  ?: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'Multi Track Rate Locking',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Multi Track Rate Reset',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

To be honest, I cannot make up too much of the amixer output, but I
will try to get aquainted with it.

I hope this helps.

Greetings,

Gabriel