[PlanetCCRMA] [Fluidsynth] How to select some arbitrary instrument in a soundfont?

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl
Mon May 11 02:41:42 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:16:00PM -0600, Julius Smith wrote:
> I had some good luck using timidity for this purpose some years ago,
> but I wasn't using soundfonts, so I don't know how that goes:
>
> man timidity
> man timidity.cfg
>
> -- jos
>
> At 01:29 PM 5/10/2009, Thomas Baruchel wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Assuming I have a MIDI file that I want to convert to WAV with a
> >soundfont FROM THE COMMAND LINE (for batch processing). Say for

To use timidity with a soundfont create a small and simple cfg file with
a text editor, let's call it "soundfont.cfg", containing one simple
line that looks a bit like this:

	soundfont /PATH/TO/SOUNDFONT.sf2

After that on the commandline (or in a script) you can do something like

	timidity -c soundfont.cfg -Ow -o outfile.wav infile.mid

Hope that helps,
if not try

	man 1 timidity
	man 5 timidity.cfg

(At least that is what helped me on Fedora)

Martin Tarenskeen