[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-rt not in bootmenu ?

Sat Jun 13 14:21:30 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 23:11 +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:54:19PM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > When I take a look in the /boot directory I can see System.map-xxxx
> > > vmlinuz-xxxx and config-xxxx files for all three kernels ( vanilla, rt,
> > > and rtPAE ) that I installed. But only for kernel-rt the initrd-xxxx is
> > > missing.
> > >
> > > Did anyone else actually try "yum install kernel-rt" before trying to
> > > help me ? Maybe something IS wrong with only that Fedora 11 /
> > > PlanetCCRMA package ?
> >
> > Aha, the kernel-rt package in f11 is i586 and maybe that is why it is
> > not included in grub.conf (but I don't know why that would be the case -
> > an i586 kernel should work under i686). Try installing kernel-rtPAE
> As I already mentioned above, I have tried to install kernel-rtPAE. This
> works.
>
> > instead. Did you install kernel-rt by itself or as part of
> > planetccrma-core?
>
> I installed planetccrma-core which gave me kernel-rtPAE
>
> Then I installed kernel-rt by itself because my PC only supports 2 GB of
> memory.

Ah, ok. Fedora itself no longer provides a non-PAE kernel for i686, I'm
merely following their packaging (do you have a non-PAE regular kernel
as part of the stock fc11 install? If so, is it working?). Most probably
the overhead of PAE is small enough to be not worth having both packages
available.

I'll test the i586 install on Monday anyway when I have access to my
test hardware (it should either not install or work IMO). It could very
well be a packaging error on my part.