[PlanetCCRMA] Jack 'time-master' issues

Nicholas Manojlovic nicholasmanojlovic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:23:04 PST 2009

Hi All

I've run into some problems - not sure if they relate to new versions of
Jack or Ardour, so would appreciate some help. Some particulars:

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.26.8-1.rt13.4.fc10.ccrma.i686.rt #1 SMP
PREEMPT RT Wed Jan 21 18:14:03 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$jackd --version
jackdmp 1.9.1

Ardour/GTK 2.7.1
   (built using 4296 and GCC version 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7))

--------

The problem:
I use Ardour and Hydrogen together. Ardour is the JACK transport master, and
Hydrogen is jack-transport aware.

Ardour simply refuses to act as the real master - if I try to go to the
beginning of the session, it will only rewind to where I last hit play. To
get to the start of the session, I have to unclick Ardour as the transport
master, rewind, and click it again for Ardour and Hydrogen to be in sync.
Trying to use Qjackctl as the transport control does the same thing. On
hydrogen, if I try to go to the beginning of the session, it will still play
from the last point of being stopped.

Additionally, if I am running JUST Ardour, and have it set to
jack-transport, I am unable to locate the playhead to wherever I want. It
will only play from where it was last stopped. Rewinding does not work.

I also noticed that using seq24 with freewheeling that seq24 was refusing to
make itself the jack master despite being told to do so.

It is of course, incredibly frustrating and destroys the natural work-flow.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Nicholas