[PlanetCCRMA] fedora 9 jack no realtime normal user

Mon Jan 19 10:30:45 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 22:20 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I just upgraded to Fedora 9 and am finding that Jack won't start in
> realtime mode as a normal user.  It starts fine with realtime as root.
> The only thing I know to check is the /etc/security/limits.conf file.
> Mine looks ok I think:
>
> ## Automatically appended by jack-audio-connection-kit
> @jackuser - rtprio 20
> @jackuser - memlock 4194304
>
> ## Automatically appended by jack-audio-connection-kit
> @pulse-rt - rtprio 20
> @pulse-rt - nice -20
>

> Any ideas why Jack won't start with realtime priority as a normal
> user?
> I use qjcakctl.
> kernel: 2.6.26.8-1.rt12.2.fc9.ccrma.x86_64.rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
> Jack:
> jack-audio-connection-kit.x86_64
> 0.116.1-3.fc9
> jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients.x86_64
> 0.116.1-3.fc9
> jack-rack.x86_64
> 1.4.7-1.fc9
> jackmix.x86_64
> 0.4-1.fc9.ccrma
> qjackctl.x86_64

Fedora released a newer version of jack that is being installed instead
of the Planet CCRMA version (the Planet CCRMA version allows all users
by default access to realtime privileges, the Fedora version requires
you to be in a special group as outlined by other answer in this
thread).

I have to again override the Fedora version so that stuff like this work
out of the box.