[PlanetCCRMA] getting midi to work?

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sun Jan 11 11:23:08 PST 2009

Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
>> Try adding '-X seq' to the end of your jackd command line (leave out the
>> quotes of course).
>>
>> Rocco
>
> One step forward: now qtractor allows me to connect qtractor to quattro
> midiport (from qutractor. Jack's miditab only shows system ports
> in/out). I still don't hear anything.
> Also pmidi now lists qjackctl midiport but trying to use it doesn't
> yield any sound either.
> kmidimon shows nothing at all.
>
> I'm starting jack with:
> /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n3 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0 -i2 -o2 -Xseq
>
> (I know some of the option are redundant. hopefully not conflicted)
>
> thanks
> Oded

I'm pretty new to this also and am trying different things. We have
different programs and setups. But make sure you install "Jack Example
Clients". They are command line programs for doing all kinds of useful
things (and sometimes the only way).

I know on my CCRMA 7 system, I do...
yum install jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients

If that doesn't work, do...
yum list jack*

Once installed... try (in a shell)...
jack_lsp
(list jack ports)
jack_connect
(connect ports)

Make sure you use the --help switch to see the options
(jack_programName --help)

I found...
jack_lsp --aliases
...and...
jack_lsp --properties
...to be very helpful, but there's more.

I found it almost impossible to get any info about jack related
programs. But if you do (in a shell)...
jack_
(press tab twice)
You'll see the programs that come with "Jack Example Clients".

Let me know how this works out. I'm learning also and would like to know
what you discovered...
Rocco