[PlanetCCRMA] Am I about to overuse Ardour?

wilkinson.bob at comcast.net wilkinson.bob at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 19:09:10 PST 2009

I think someone is going to tell me I am psychotic for this, but here it goes.

I am running CCRMA RT, with two Delta1010s, and 16 channels preamps (no analog console).  I want to give the musicians each monitor mixes, but cannot use Envy24 because I cannot mix from two different cards together to one output.

So, my suggestion was to create both a channel for recording in Ardour for each channel, as well as a bus.  The input from the card would go to the channel, and the bus.  I could then mix for monitors using the bus fader, while not disturbing the recording input - and then send a mix of the busses out to monitors.

Is this overtaxing the system?  I'm running on a dual core Opteron system with currently 2 gigs RAM, but this can easily be upgraded to 16 gigs.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile