[PlanetCCRMA] Suggestion for sound card

Adam Swift vikeul at omnitude.net
Mon Apr 20 21:59:04 PDT 2009

Sean Beeson <seanbeeson at gmail.com> wrote:

> What specific PCI firewire card did you use? Does anyone else know of
> cards that use the needed Texas Instruments chipset?

 From what I can tell, here is the ffado developers order of
preference for chips:
TI (always works)
VIA (works with some and not others apparently, this is what I have)

Ones that they/Presonus say don't work:
Ricoh
NEC (Presonus gear seems to have conflicts with these)
Firewire built into Creative Audigy cards

I'm not sure whether the Presonus comments apply to other cards.

You also need to beware of "combo" cards- firewire 400 + 800, or usb +
firewire cards, according to the ffado developers. However, some
people have these working.

I don't know of any cards that specifically use the TI chipset, but if
you go to a shop that stocks them, you can just ask them to have a
look at the card before you purchase it and read the manufacturer off
the chip itself. That's what I did for mine.

Adam Swift

----- End forwarded message -----