[PlanetCCRMA] Suggestion for sound card

JOHN LYON jalyon at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 16 23:17:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have a focusrite SAFFIRE Pro IO 26, and the SAFFIRE Pro IO 10 howto helped me a lot.  Everything described there is pretty much the same.

I had a problem with a older firewire card (Texas Instruments, but from 1999!).  I replaced it with a new PCI firewire card that happened to be a Texas Instruments chipset as well. Voila!  That's when my focusrite SAFFIRE Pro IO 26 started working.  So it's probably true that getting the right firewire card can be very important on Linux.  My old card still works fine on Windows...

It is important to run ffado-mixer when using the focusrite SAFFIRE Pro boards; for one thing, you need ffado-mixer to set the headphone levels and to turn on phantom power on the 2 sets of mic preamp channels (you can turn on phontom power on channels 1-4 and/or 5-5 from the ffado-mixer software).  Since there is no way to do this from the hardware, you have to install and run ffado-mixer to use these features.

Hope this is useful,

John Lyon