[PlanetCCRMA] Saffire LE silence: a few, probably dumb, questions

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 15 16:43:34 PDT 2009

>> PulseAudio is a Dictator/Tyrant.  It does not know how to cooperate
>> with other sound cards and sound devices unless they are USB
>> connected.  Worse yet, if you try to remove PulseAudio it will take
>> down your entire sound system under Linux.  The end result is that if
>> you refuse to play with PulseAudio, then you can't make any sounds
>> under Linux.  (PulseAudio developers, this is *very bad*
>> courtesy/manners on your part.)

Thanks to the gentleman who pointed out you can now uninstall PulseAudio.

I should have been more specific.

I went from Fedora 6 to Fedora 9.  I believe PulseAudio was introduced
in Fedora 7.  In Fedora 9, when I tried to uninstall PulseAudio,
several hundred MB of files were also removed due to dependencies,
including both the KDE and the Gnome desktops.  I suppose I could have
tried rebuilding packages by hand, but I stopped doing that a few
years ago.

When I looked into uninstalling PulseAudio under Fedora 10 (my current
system), it would only uninstal PulseAudio and did not try to remove
anything else.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  I didn't uininstall
PulseAudio, because I don't trust what my system would be like after
the uninstall.  But when I move to Fedora 11 when it's out, I'll try
to uninstall PulseAudio at that time.

Thank you PulseAudio developers installing the ability to remove
PulseAudio.

Stephen.