[PlanetCCRMA] Saffire LE silence: a few, probably dumb, questions

Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale Arnaud.Gomes at ircam.fr
Tue Apr 14 22:06:07 PDT 2009

TheOther <theother1510 at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> connected.  Worse yet, if you try to remove PulseAudio it will take
> down your entire sound system under Linux.  The end result is that if
> you refuse to play with PulseAudio, then you can't make any sounds
> under Linux.  (PulseAudio developers, this is *very bad*
> courtesy/manners on your part.)

You *can* run a system without pulseaudio. The easiest way is just to
remove the pulseausdio package. Most apps won't break, but you may
have to reconfigure them to use either direct ALSA or (better from my
experience) jack.

I tend to use the opposite approach and set up pulseaudio as a jack
client. Here are the few required steps (on Fedora 10):

- install the pulseaudio-module-jack package
- configure your desktop not to run pulseaudio (depends on the desktop
  itself; I don't use a full desktop environment so for me it boils
  down to "never run pulseaudio explicitely") *and* to start jack as
  soon as you log in
- save the following config file as ~/.pulse/default.pa

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
load-module module-jack-sink channels=2 channel_map=left,right
load-module module-jack-source channels=2 channel_map=left,right

load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-volume-restore
load-module module-default-device-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-suspend-on-idle
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif
.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
.nofail
load-module module-x11-publish
.fail
.endif

I think this is all that is required. Now pulseaudio should get
launched as a jack client whenever an application requires it.

--
Arnaud