[PlanetCCRMA] for brave users only, kernel 2.6.29.1-rt4 for fc10

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Tue Apr 7 11:39:09 PDT 2009

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> I just pushed a new build of 2.6.29.1-rt4 (Thomas Gleixner, one of the
> gurus working on the rt patches would like to give it a whirl and the
> easiest way is to put it in planetcore-testing)
> Problems I have seen:
> Both are cured by booting with "noreplace-smp" as a kernel boot option.
>
> I do get occasional hangs. On a very loaded dual core laptop running a
> lot of realtime audio processing / synthesis programs. So, not
> recommended for live performance yet :-)
> Thanks also to Tracey Hytry for the thorough testing and comments behind
> the scenes of the preliminary builds!!
> -- Fernando

Loads and stops fine on my HP AMD64 laptop using the i686 kernel.
Haven't tried to overload it yet.
Wireless worked (bc43-fwcutter, not the wl-broadcom kmod) out of the box.
Nvidia akmod failed to build, my rookie research points to either akmod
doesn't
like <dot>29 version or kernel-rt-devel is missing something that akmod
needs.
Graphics works OK without the Nvidia akmod, just no 3D graphics.
-- Jeff Sandys
BTW, I hope to demo CCRMA PD and SuperCollider at the Fedora Activity Day
at the NW LinuxFest    http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/