[PlanetCCRMA] Call me stupid, but...

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Fri Oct 17 05:28:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:39:15 -0700
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I've been compiling and trying newer kernels. A couple of days ago I
> thought that 2.6.26.6-rt10 was good until I got a complete freeze this
> morning (well, after upgrading to rt11, maybe that was it?). Still, much
> better than what versions > 2.6.24 had been so far. Sigh. 2.6.24.7-rtxx
> is so far the best, but at CCRMA we have seen X segfaults with that one
> under _fc9_. On the other hand I have been running 2.6.26.6-rt11 for the
> whole day on my fc8 laptop with no mishaps so far.

I've been trying to get around to posting some of my observations of fedora 9, but life has been very busy the last few weeks.  So here I sit at 5 am getting this out(which should have been asked a while ago.

It seemed to have taken most of the summer for me to get a functioning fedora 9 on any of the machines around here.  All of the problems have been with X, and related issues with trying to run the jack system with no xruns.

It appears that ANY 2.6.24.xxx kernel will NOT work with fedora 9.  This includes the fedora kernels and the ccrma realtime kernels.  I have had pretty stable systems running fedora's 2.6.26 kernels and ccrma's 2.6.25.9-1.rt7.2.fc9.ccrma.x86_64.rt kerenel on both 32 and 64 bit systems.

For the longest time I thought it was because of poor X support for the types of nvidia graphics I have, but started to realize that the kernel itself seemed to play into the instability.  I've managed to get both the 32 and 64 bit machines running well using the latest fedora kernels along with livna's 3d nvidia graghics drivers.  As I said above, the "25" ccrma-rt also works, but I only was able to test it using the normal "nv" 2d X drivers.

So anyway.  Fernando, I got the 25rt kernel off of the repository, but could not find the kernel-devel package for it.  Is it around somewhere so that I can try to build an nvidia driver for it?

Tracey.