[PlanetCCRMA] problems with installing fc8

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Fri Nov 7 09:59:18 PST 2008

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:41:01 -0800 (PST)
Oded Ben-Tal <oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> So with some tweaking of the BIOS I was able to install fc8, but it seems
> neither the ethernet nor the wireless is supported by the default setup.
> There are some instructions about building drivers for one or the other
> but for that I'll need the kernel headers (and hope I don't ruin
> everything). For which I need a network...
> Any chance the drivers will become supported soon?

Odd, I've never had problems with the wired ethernet port on any of the
ThinkPads I've used over the years.  I know that Lenovo uses a lot of
Atheros chips for the wireless.  In Fedora 8 and earlier, this required
MadWiFi or ndiswrappers to work, but is supported out of the box on
Fedora 9.  You may want to try downloading the Fedora 9 live CD and
see if it works for your system.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com