[PlanetCCRMA] Security issue for Jackd

Mon May 19 14:30:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 14:06 -0700, Carr Wilkerson wrote:
> [...]

This was in the moderation queue and Carr forwarded it to me (so it has
not made it out yet :-)...

Anyway, the jack that installs on fc9 is the one from Fedora. It is not
set up to allow you access automatically, you have to be part of a
group. I was actually trying to determine where to go for fc9 wrt
jack... no best choice these days for a stable up to date jack.

Anyway, if you look at /etc/security/limits.conf you will probably see
this:

## Automatically appended by jack-audio-connection-kit
@jackuser - rtprio 20
@jackuser - memlock 4194304

You have to be in the jackuser group...

Or you can change that to:

## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 4194304
* - nice -10

and you should have realtime access as any user.

BTW, it is still too early to move to f9 for a complete Planet CCRMA
install. Only for brave testers...