[PlanetCCRMA] Need help getting realtime kernel working with Fedora 8 and nvidia

Paul Vallee pv.vallee at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:11:43 PDT 2008

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for your help Matt, Juan and Hector. I couldn't have
done it without you. I tried following Matt's instructions but ran into a
roadblock when I discovered that the spec file had changed and I couldn't
edit it properly to get the desired result. Then I stumbled upon the
rpmfusion site and realized that we are now in the world of kmod "2.0".  No
more fiddling with the spec file. Just add a couple of prameters to the
rpmbuild command line and kmodtool does the rest.

I followed the instructions here:

http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2#head-a6ef94d0e888ea41a2335d30fe7da26814e23f8f

and the nvidia driver installed on the planetccrma kernel without incident.
Nice!

When I rebooted, however, I was still having the same problems with extra
characters being emitted when I press keys on the keyboard, erratic mouse
behavior and Xwindows freezing eventually. I did a little more research and
decided to try out the latest testing kernel from planetccrma. Good
decision. I installed it, then installed the nvidia kernel module again for
the new kernel and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I now had a
working system with none of the problems described above. Good response, no
perceivable delays in X.

Thanks again, all. I've been struggling with this for about a week and it's
such a good feeling to finally be at this stage of the process.

Next, I installed the planetccrma-apps package. Now I have a new problem.
JACK. It seems to start up when needed, but then exits immediately with
status 1. I will do some more research and see if I can get it working on my
own. If I can't though, I'm wondering if I should continue bleating about it
in this topic or start a new topic for the JACK problem?

Paul

--
Kind Regards,

Paul Vallee