[PlanetCCRMA] Need help getting realtime kernel working with Fedora 8 and nvidia

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:11:39 PDT 2008

Some answers below:

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Paul Vallee <pv.vallee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for your help.
> I'm glad that your solution uses the livna-supplied drivers rather than the
> nvidia-supplied drivers because I understand from reading this article:
>
> Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg01178.html
>
> that the drivers supplied by Nvidia overwrite some OpenGL libraries with
> their own versions of those libraries. Very naughty.
>
> Before I can proceed I need ask you a few questions:
>
> 1. How do I find out if I have the plantetccrma kernel-devel package
> installed on my system and if it's not there, how do I get it?

to find out:

rpm -q kernel-rt-devel

if you want to find all the kernel packages installed:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

for more on the above commands, you can

man rpm

and do a search for "QUERY OPTIONS"

to install:

(as superuser)    yum install kernel-rt-devel

> 2. Do I have to remove the livna-supplied nvidia driver that I have already
> installed on my Fedora 2.6.24.5-85.fc8 kernel, or can it co-exist peacefully
> with the one I'm about to install on the planetccrma
> 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel?

You should be able to keep the livna-supplied driver, I think.  When
you run the rpm command to install the new one, make sure you use -ihv
rather than -Uhv, just to be safe (install rather than update).

> 3. Do I have to do the installation as root or should I do it as a regular
> user?

You'll need root privileges to install any rpm -- you can do it as
sudo if you have set up sudo privileges for your user(s).

> 4. Which 'package' do I need to download from livna:
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-169.12.1.lvn8.src.rpm,
> nvidia-kmod-169.12-7.lvn8.src.rpm, ...?

The nvidia-kmod package -- this is the kernel module that you have to
build to work with your specific kernel version.  If I'm not mistaken,
the other one is the driver components which are common to all nvidia
modules, as well as some documentation, the /dev devices, and some
config scripts.  (run

rpm -ql xorg-x11-drv-nvidia | less

to see what's there)

The beginning of the nvidia-kmod.spec looks like this for me:

# stuff to be implemented externally:
Source10: kmodtool
%define   kmodtool bash %{SOURCE10}
# end stuff to be ...

# hardcode for now:
%{!?kversion: %define kversion  2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc7.ccrmart}

%define kmod_name nvidia
%define kverrel %(%{kmodtool} verrel %{?kversion} 2>/dev/null)

%define upvar ""
# kdump-devel missing
#define kdumpvar kdump
# xen uses a different version; ignore
#define xenvar xen
# don't build for debug kernels
#define debugvar debug PAE-debug
%{!?kvariants: %define kvariants %{?upvar}}

You can get the kernel version to put in the .spec file with

uname -r

again, notice I've deleted all references to any kvariants besides
upvar -- it's probably a bit nicer to comment out the defines rather
than delete them, but I like to get them out of my sight.  =o)

This has always worked for me -- anyone who is more of an rpm-master
who sees something terrible in the above should post a better
solution.

Hope this works for you, let me know.

Matt

PS.
This probably won't apply to you, but anyone who is using an old card
and can't get the nvidia drivers to work should try the
nvidia-96xx-kmod or (if it's REALLY old) nvidia-legacy-kmod drivers.

As I mentioned before, this method works great for livna's madwifi
package as well.  As of yet I can't get fglrx (ATI drivers) to work --
here's the error message:

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module fglrx.ko uses GPL-only symbol
'__rcu_read_lock'

I haven't found a workaround -- to anyone who knows the rt-kernel:  is
there likely to be one?