[PlanetCCRMA] ATI and F8

Michael Gurevich gurevich at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue May 6 07:29:39 PDT 2008

After getting my F8/planetccrma dual-boot setup mostly working on my
iMac, I'm left with graphics card issues. My mac has an ATI Radeon HD
2600 card. The default generic driver that loaded doesn't support
1680x1050 resolution. I tried the open source ati driver and it gave me
all kinds of bad artifacts, so I then tried the fglrx driver by adding
the kmod-fglrx metapackage from livna.  As I understand it, this is
supposed to automatically add the correct modules for your kernel. It
seems to work well with the stock 2.6.24.5-85.fc8 kernel, but doesn't
load properly with the planetccrma rt kernel, which I guess should be
expected, since it doesn't know about planetccrma.

My question is what do I need to do to make this work? I'm a bit vague
on kernel modules and drivers. Do I need to rebuild the kernel and
somehow wrap in this package? Or rebuild the package against the kernel?
Or somehow just shove something into the kernel?

thanks,
Michael.