[PlanetCCRMA] New install report

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo at dellorfano.net
Sun May 4 11:15:57 PDT 2008

Fernando,

Thanks for your reply. I have had some success over the weekend. I
compiled alsa 1.0.16 and was able to get output from my new RME card
(hooray!). I tested with aplay and all was fine. The RME problem appears
to be fixed in 1.0.16 and so I recommend adding this to the planet. No
hurry, though, because the 1.0.16 version of alsa was very easy to
compile as long as you have the kernel sources downloaded.

The testing version of Jack (both jackd and jackdmp) failed.
Interestingly I was able to start jackd and jackdmp from the command
line but then I got an error that it could not connect to jack client.

Here is output...

12:53:27.330 Patchbay deactivated.
12:53:27.377 Statistics reset.
12:53:27.433 ALSA connection graph change.
12:53:27.621 ALSA connection change.
12:53:27.622 ALSA connection graph change.
12:53:42.033 Startup script...
12:53:42.034 artsshell -q terminate
12:53:42.720 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
12:53:42.720 JACK is starting...
12:53:42.721 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r96000 -p1024 -n2
12:53:42.722 JACK was started with PID=3287.
jackd 0.109.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 96000
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|96000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 96000Hz, period = 1024 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
12:53:44.924 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.
12:53:53.095 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.
12:53:57.198 JACK is stopping...
jack main caught signal 15
no message buffer overruns
12:53:57.228 JACK was stopped successfully.
12:53:57.228 Post-shutdown script...
12:53:57.229 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
12:53:57.640 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.

I am currently running version 0.109.2-0.svn1088.1.fc8.ccrma.x86_64 (not
from the testing repo) and it works beautifully.

Finally, the RT kernel. When I boot it I get an interesting faint high
pitched noise from the box. After some time the windows manager freezes,
although I can still get into the console with ctrl-alt-F1.

Here is output from syslog at time of crash...

May  4 12:41:09 Clayton acpid: client connected from 3026[0:0]
May  4 12:41:24 Clayton restorecond: Will not restore a file with more
than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) Invalid argument
May  4 12:41:24 Clayton gdm-binary[3021]: WARNING:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
May  4 12:41:25 Clayton acpid: client connected from 3327[0:0]
May  4 12:41:25 Clayton kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for e0000000,1000000
old: write-back new: write-combining
May  4 12:41:27 Clayton gconfd (jdellorf-3119): GConf server is not in
use, shutting down.
May  4 12:41:27 Clayton gconfd (jdellorf-3119): Exiting

I understand that there are some issues posted about the current RT
kernel. I will await your testing kernel before I attempt patching my
own kernel!

I hope this helps. I will continue tweaking. I'm curious about why the
experimental jack version doesn't work for me. I may continue to fool
around with it and I will let you know what happens.

-Joe