[PlanetCCRMA] problemillas at first jack startup

Thu May 1 02:41:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:38 +0200, simone www.io-sound.org wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 00:10 +0200, simone www.io-sound.org
>         wrote:
>         > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
>         > <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>         >         On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 22:10 +0200, simone
>         www.io-sound.org
>         >         wrote:
>         >         > hi
>         >         > i can t run jack with real time enable i get this:
>         >         >
>         >         > 21:57:02.928 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r44100
>         -p256 -n2 -D
>         >         -Chw:0
>         >         > -Phw:0
>         >         > jackd 0.109.2
>         >         > Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>         >         > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>         >         > This is free software, and you are welcome to
>         redistribute
>         >         it
>         >         > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
>         details
>         >         > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>         >         > cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority
>         10) [for
>         >         thread
>         >         > -1208875328, from thread -1208875328] (1:
>         Operation not
>         >         permitted)
>         >
>         >
>         >         Check the file /etc/security/limits.conf and verify
>         that this
>         >         is in
>         >         there:
>         >
>         >         ----
>         >         ## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA
>         >         jack-audio-connection-kit
>         >         * - rtprio 99
>         >         * - memlock 4194304
>         >         * - nice -10
>         >         ----
>         > yep i ve already done that
>         > now it just works cause i run as root to check jack in root
>         and went
>         > back to user
>         > probably since it is the jack kit to patch limits.conf file
>         and i ve
>         > installed jack kit as user
>

>         Did you install jack from source? Or the Planet CCRMA package?
> jack kit from ccrma but qjacktl from source (isn t qjacktl in the jack
> kit? i didn t get any entry on the menu after installing the rpm)

That is strange, qjackctl is part of Planet CCRMA (in fact it comes from
Fedora). It has a menu entry.

>         > it s all good now, fedora with planet ccrma kernel seems to
>         be better
>         > performing than ubuntu studio but sometime there is a bunch
>         load of
>         > work on the HD and it starts reading like crazy and
>         eventually
>         > crashing jack
>         >
>         > seems to me like a lack of memory but i haven t got this
>         problem in
>         > ubuntu
>

>         It smells like you are running out of memory. Disk activity
>         could be
>         related to swap activity (if nothing else is running that may
>         be
>         touching disk). Do you see any messages after the crash
>         in /var/log/messages? How much memory do you have?
>
> i ll check that out when it happens again
> i have 512Mb

Yeah, that is a bit low these days (memory bloat... arghhh...)

-- Fernando

[PS: it would be better for the list to turn off html in your email client...]