[PlanetCCRMA] Re: m-audio fast track ultra (usb) - advice needed

Ian Mulvihill ian.mulvihill at computer.org
Fri Mar 7 08:36:02 2008

--
ian.mulvihill@nospam.computer.org

----- Original message -----
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Just received an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB interface.  It's
recognised when inserted, snd_usb_audio loaded, and Qjackctl sees it.
But if I try to start jackd it fails.

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with AD1981B at irq 21
 1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel ICH6 Modem
                      Intel ICH6 Modem at irq 19
 2 [Ultra          ]: USB-Audio - Fast Track Ultra
                      M-Audio Fast Track Ultra at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1,
                      high speed

# /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:2
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

SSE2 detected
creating alsa driver ...
hw:2|hw:2|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:2
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
#

Jack starts fine with the onboard ones.

I've not used a USB interface before.  Is there something else I need to
do?  Do I need a specific driver?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
--
ian.mulvihill@nospam.computer.org

An update on this: M-Audio have just told me that the Fast Track Ultra
uses a different chipset to the other Fast Tracks (though they couldn't
say what it was).  Has anyone had any luck with one of these yet?

Thanks again,
Ian