[PlanetCCRMA] Lockup on tar command over ssh

Adam Swift vikeul at omnitude.net
Thu Jun 19 22:32:48 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Getting a complete lockup on the 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel
when I run the following command over an ssh session, as a normal user
or as root:
tar -c -f - -C / --exclude=./proc --exclude=./sys .

What happens is it starts dumping data as expected, but after maybe 6
seconds the whole computer locks up. Locks up as in completely
unresponsive- num lock doesn't work, magic sysrq doesn't work (after
explicitly turning it on with echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq ). I
have to do a hard reset.

Observing my switch, both lights (the Planet CCRMA box and the ssh
client box) flash initially as the data starts transferring. Once the
Planet CCRMA box hangs, the light for ssh client box stops flashing
but the Planet CCRMA box light keeps flashing. That suggests to me
that it's still transmitting but the data is corrupt, and so the
switch can't direct it to a real network interface.

It works fine with 2.6.25.4-10.fc8 , over a local ssh session, and
just plain locally in a terminal.

Any ideas from where to go from here?

Adam Swift