[PlanetCCRMA] SwingOSC with SuperCollider

Jonathan Segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Thu Jun 5 18:51:12 PDT 2008

i've been spending the day trying migrate my gui stuff in
SuperCollider from SCUM to SwingOSC to make the patches cross
platform (so i can use my OS X patches in PlanetCCRMA)
one big thing that i discovered is that the java that is installed
with fedora core/planetccrma is not working with SwingOSC. Apparently
I'm not the first person to notice this, what works is to have sun
java installed instead of gcj which is what's normally used here.
can we get sun java into the planetccrma dist or is that somehow
proprietary?

finally got it working:

1) downloaded JRE 6 from
http://developers.sun.com/downloads/top.jsp
- you get the JDK actually.
2) (i had to change the .bin file to +x)
sh jre-6*whatever*-i586.bin
3) sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/
jre1.6/bin/java 2
4) sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
4.5) java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

5) /home/me/.sclang.sc    file now has:

SwingOSC.java="/usr/java/jre1.6.0_06/bin/java";
SwingOSC.program = "/home/jes/SwingOSC/build/SwingOSC.jar -t 57111 -L
-h 127.0.0.1:57120";
g = SwingOSC.default;
g.doWhenBooted({ arg serverGui,searchHelp;
//serverGui =  s.makeGui;
// searchHelp = Help.searchGUI;
Server.local.makeGui;
Server.internal.makeGui;