[PlanetCCRMA] Looking for utility to split midi files

steve linabery slinabery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 09:18:18 PDT 2008

Hi,

First, thanks to all the contributors to planet ccrma. It is a joy to
use this set of tools.

I record with a combination of vDrums and real cymbals. Since I have
only 4 input channels, I capture my performance by recording the audio
of the real cymbals with ardour, and the midi from the vDrum brain
with rosegarden. Then I pipe the midi back into the vDrum brain and
record the output in ardour. This allows me more control over the
mixdown.

I'd like even more control, to the level of individual pads on the vDrum.

Is there a utility that will split a midi file into several files, one
for each note in the "track"?

Alternately, is there a way to configure rosegarden to capture only
certain midi notes per track?

I don't *think* I have many options on the vDrum end, like "what
channel does this pad send on?", but I may be wrong. And I'm kind of a
midi noob. So any advice is welcome!

Thanks again,
Steve