[PlanetCCRMA] Pulseaudio?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jan 22 07:35:01 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 09:24, Louis van Dompselaar wrote:
> Does anyone know what has happened with the FC8 updates over the last week
> or two that has totally killed my audio?
>
> I seem to have acquired pulseaudo-versions of everything but that doesn't
> work at all.  xmms dies completely as it doesn't understand pulseaudio
> and amarok fails to connect to the pulseaudio server.  Today I noticed
> I can't use Youtube anymore as the flash plugin barfs at not seeing any
> audio devices.  I don't think I want pulseaudio...
>
> Luckily Jack still works, but that's about the only thing that does!
>
> They  all appear to be regular fc8 rpms so I think Fedora released them.
>
> Louis

Hi Louis. When I installed F8 it had pulseaudio installed (unknown to me at
the time). I normally try out an audio CD to just see if the sound is ok, and
Kscd wouldn't play, with the complaint of permission denied, and something to
do with pulseaudio. I disabled pulseaudio by removing the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, and the sound came back.

I've just had the pulseaudio updates, that I think you're referring to, and
have booted up F8 to just check that the sound is still working ok, and it
is.

If you feel that you don't need pulseaudio, just do the.
yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If you use the KDE desktop, it will also remove kde-settings-pulseaudio

And if you use audio apps that use SDL, add the following line to
your /home/user/.bashrc file.

unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

This will remove the hack that SDL programs need to use pulseaudio.

All the best in getting your sound back.

Nigel.