[PlanetCCRMA] Linux distributions and audio (Was: drop outs with FC8...)

Fri Jan 18 09:23:00 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:06 -0800, David Nielson wrote:
> I have a concern that this is turning into a large, off-topic, heated
> discussion.

[MUNCH]

> (6) RT kernels have been around a long time! They are a done deal! The
> code isn't mainline yet, but in the world of things I think "should" be,
> every major distro "should" have a -rt kernel package that can just be
> installed from the main repositories.

No, not really, not a "done deal" from my point of view.

The realtime preemption patch moves way too fast. There's not time to
stabilize it for a given kernel before the next kernel appears and
development moves there (and new stuff is not backported).

For example, 2.6.23 does not yet have a stable (from my point of view)
rt patch. It has timing issues which I don't see in 2.6.22 on the same
hardware and distro (fc7). And it would seem that not that many users
see the problem because I don't see fixes coming up (and debugging that
_is_ a royal pain).

-- Fernando