[PlanetCCRMA] soundcard must be detected via local display before detected via vnc

Fri Jan 18 08:41:02 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 16:06 -0500, Martin Harriss wrote:
> Bengt Månsson wrote:
> > Hi
> > I prefer to use VNC to connect remotely to my linux audio box via LAN
> > After each reboot I cannot see the soundcard in qjackctrl via VNC
> > I have to login on a locally attached screen and start qjackctrl
> > Then I can logout from that screen and everything works fine again via
> > VNC (until next reboot)
> > I would like to remove that old screen and always just use my laptop as
> > display (which is very good)
> > Please advise
> > /Bengt
> >

> This is probably a permissions problem.  When you log in at the console
> the system arranges for the audio devices (amongst other things) to be
> owned by the user logging in.  When you VNC in this probably doesn't happen.

That's correct. You would have to make your audio devices accessible to
all users, not only to the person physically logged into the machine.
You can do that by changing this file:

  /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms

Change this line:
<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root
to this:
<console>  0600 <sound>      0666 root

this will make the sound devices world readable and writable (ie:
anybody logged in will have access).

-- Fernando