[PlanetCCRMA] Linux distributions and audio (Was: drop outs with FC8...)

Hector Centeno hcengar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 00:26:37 2008

Thanks a lot Greg for the information. My opinions are based only on
my experience as user (I've been using both Ubuntu and Fedora for
audio and visual production since Fedora Core 2 and Ubuntu Warty), but
is good to know the view from someone who works inside. From certain
perspective, decisions like replacing the firewire stack in the final
release for one that breaks compatibility with older devices (I think
that's why FreeBob wont work with Juju, but thanks to Fernando to make
it possible) makes it feel like there is more of an intention to beta
test than to provide with stability and compatibility, but on the
other hand I'm pretty sure the switch will probably bring benefits to
the wider Linux community. Anyways, all work is appreciated! And any
Linux distro has it's ups and downs (e.g. I'm starting to have some
freezes and login problems with the Ubuntu RT kernel).

Cheers,

Hector