[PlanetCCRMA] Linux distributions and audio (Was: drop outs with FC8...)

Hector Centeno hcengar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:43:01 2008

Hello,

On Jan 4, 2008 1:06 PM, David Nielson <naptastic@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a concern that this is turning into a large, off-topic, heated
> discussion.

It might not be that off-topic but it's interesting how things can
easily look "heated" when the only medium for communication is "cold"
text, he,he :-) (I guess that's what smilies are for).

Actually what I was trying to do is to trigger a friendly talk about
the issues and concerns we, the CCRMA Linux-Audio users have. Also is
important to realize that many of us have different approaches to how
and for what we use our CCRMA-Linux workstations. To some is about
having a DAW (for recording, mixing, editing, applying some EQ,
reverb, etc, and the burn to CD). For others it might mean a
multimedia workstation where video and audio are
edited/generated/synthesized/mixed/realtime-controlled together (for
this you need working Nvidia or ATI drivers). It might even include
sophisticated graphic design, web programming and daily administrative
tasks like emailing, text writing, keeping your contacts directory,
etc. I think computer power these days and Linux in general could be
ready for giving it all together. So my point is: let's all work
together to have it! By discussing, programing, packing, etc. At all
times I been highly appreciative of Fernando's work (actually that is
the only thing that makes me want to be patient with Fedoras erratic
direction) and I wasn't trying to criticize him or trying to imply
that he must do something extra or different. The fact that Fernando
is including in the repository many of the apps that are used for more
"alternative" kind of multimedia artistic production (PD,
SuperCollider, Csound, etc) and are not available in other distros is
of great value! So, I think a fully functional workstation with
CCRMA-Linux (whatever distro flavour), accelerated graphics (Nvidia,
ATI) and RT kernel is possible.

Cheers!

Hector