[PlanetCCRMA] drop outs with FC8 and latest CCRMA kernel

bH atorima at vfemail.net
Thu Jan 3 14:20:00 2008

<head>
</head>
Hector,<br>
Thank you for info and for giving the various aspects of the argument.
I appreciate the input. I love CCRMA (and Fernando!) Hey! maybe, this
should be a t-shirt or, something ;)&nbsp; and I know this gets brought up
from time to time but, Fernando must be an Olympic marathon package
builder and maintainer to keep up with Fedora.&nbsp; I for one, would not be
opposed to an Ubuntu-based, CCRMA.&nbsp; uCCRMAtu?<br>
Brian<br>
Hector Centeno wrote:
 cite="mid695e1a650801031339id8d9709qfc863b346578726@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Hello,

I installed Ubuntu Feisty and then the UbuntuStudio metapackages on
top which includes the kernel-rt. The Fedroa-Ubuntu dilemma is a big
one for me: on one hand there is the excellent CCRMA repository but
you have to deal with the instabilities of Fedora made worst by the
fact that Fedora is more of a testing-grounds distro for RedHat rather
than a full stable and usable one (made obvious by the kind of
experimental technology they put on it and the poor user support). On
the other hand Ubuntu is quite stable and has improved usability and
great user support but the audio packages are old and take ages to get
upgraded (updates don't happen even from one release to the other). I
personally think that the Linux-Audio world is in a very young state
and development is going very fast so from one version to the other of
an audio app the functionality and stability improves a lot. That's
why the Debian style philosophy of holding upgrades doesn't really
work in this area (it might for other areas) and that's why I think
life at the edge is needed for audio apps. I always end rebuilding
almost all the major audio apps when I use Ubuntu. Other aspect I
don't like about UbuntuStudio is that it seems to be more oriented to
the amateur musician, which is fine and might work for some, but good
luck if you want to install Supercollider, Csound or PD, you will get
incomplete or very outdated versions (like the now ancient Csound 4).
So up to now there is no perfect distro for music/audio as none of
them has a good balance of recent, stable versions plus usability
improvements on the desktop environment side (Ubuntu style) and
cutting edge and frecuent updates on the music/audio apps side (CCRMA
style). As always that I think about this issue it comes to my wishful
mind the idea of a CCRMA repository for Ubuntu, but yes, I know it
would be a lot of work. Anyways, sorry for the rant.

Hector