[PlanetCCRMA] Deprecation

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 10:51:02 2008

Joe Hartley wrote:
> Is FC7 already deprecated for Ardour 2.3?  If so, will it be showing up in
> the Planet CCRMA repository?

It's not my repository, so this is pure speculation on my part: the
majority of people who are doing the work to maintain the repository are
keeping as up-to-date as possible with Fedora versions, to support those
first. I've seen and heard no "deprecation warnings" or announcements
regarding older versions of Fedora, but the amount of work it takes to
maintain the packages is prohibitive. It creates a kind of "de facto
deprecation" for older versions. Being lower on the priority list, and
there being so much work and so few hands working on it, these items may
never be addressed.

I have found a way of managing my computer so that I never have to
"break" my box with an upgrade, but I still get to have the latest thing
installed all the time. I have my hard drive partitioned into lots of
chunky kibbles, like this:

/dev/sda1 is about 100 MiB and is my /boot directory.
/dev/sda2 is about 12 GiB and is my Windows XP partition.
/dev/sda3 is an extended partition taking up the rest of my disk,
divided into these pieces:
/dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 are both 12 GiB Linux partitions. One is my
"stable" installation, and the other is my "testing" installation. At
the moment, I've got Fedora 8 in both of them, because I screwed
something up on my "stable" one and don't know how to fix it. By the
time my "testing" installation has full functionality, it will be time
to install Fedora 9, so I'll blow off (format--erase--NOT upgrade) my
"unstable" or "old" installation and install F9. Once I get that
installation to where it's fully functional for my audio work, I am free
to erase the other installation and use it for whatever's next.
/dev/sda7 is my /home partition, and gets mounted by both Fedora
installations, so they both have access to my recordings all the time.
Sharing /home hasn't presented a problem for me, unless I try to split
it between Fedora and another distribution like Ubuntu. Then, things
start breaking.

For those who are frustrated with the fast upgrades breaking your box or
costing you downtime in the middle of jobs, now might be the time to
invest in a larger hard drive (if necessary) and partitioning scheme
that supports your rock-n-roll lifestyle.

David Nielson