[PlanetCCRMA] F8 audio setup works with standard kernel but not in RT...

Tue Dec 2 18:00:36 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 20:20 -0500, Preston C. wrote:
> I cannot get a single midi signal when I use the RT kernel with F8.
> When I use the standard kernels it works but the sound cracks a lot
> when playing the piano. Fernando, I know you said that this may not be
> a kernel problem. If it is or is not a kernel problem, either way,
> then can someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks a lot for
> help.

It appears to be a kernel problem. But the problems I have personally
seen with MIDI are with the newer rt kernels, not with the default one
in Fedora 8.

Hmmm..... what to do?

There is one more kernel you could try I guess. If you go to:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/testing/8/i386/repoview/kernel-rt.html

you will see currently three kernels sitting there. The 2.6.26.x kernels
do have a MIDI problem so I would probably skip those. But the third
down based on 2.6.24.7 should not have the particular problem _I_ saw
(it might still not work with your card...).

So, click on the third kernel package and download it manually to your
computer. Open up a terminal, su root and install it with:

  rpm -ivh kernel-rt-2.6.24.7-1.rt21.1.fc8.ccrma.i686.rpm

(NOT with -Uvh, just -ivh)
Reboot into it and good luck...

If that does not work the only out would be to increase the buffer size
in jack till you get rid of the xruns... What version of jack and buffer
size are you using? (sorry, I don't remember the details from the
thread)