[PlanetCCRMA] 4GBs of ram with 32-bit ccrma

sevol sevol at hemp.net
Mon Aug 25 16:47:38 PDT 2008

Hi People,

Recently I put together a new box with 4 gigs (2x2GB sticks) of ram.
Under the 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel only 2.94GBs is showing
up. Is it possible to gain the full 4GBs of ram with this kernel? My cpu
is 64-bit, & initially, I tried a fc9 64-bit install. When the install
disc failed to recognize my hard drive, I backed off to a 32-bit OS on
fc8. (Anyway, not sure my heart was ready for the move to 64-bit.)

My searching indicates that a pae-enabled kernel is required for
accessing all the system ram via a 32-bit OS. & the ccrmart kernel isn't
pae-enabled, is it? Am I wrong on this, or missing some info to get
things working? Are people able to utilize 4GBs of physical ram with a
32-bit ccrma kernel? Or will I need to switch to a 64-bit OS?

Any insight would be much welcome.

I have to say, I'm completely incompetent with audio work in general &
certainly with Linux audio, but also, I'd like to say now, many thanks
to Fernando Lopez-Lezcano for releasing Planet CCRMA's great software
package collection.

best,
		-sevol