[PlanetCCRMA] XMMS Skipping on MP3 Playback

Jim Robinson jrobinson at sngcworld.com
Wed Aug 13 08:23:17 PDT 2008

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone had come across this before....?
I have XMMS with mp3 support on a CCRMA FC8 install.  When I try and
playback MP3's via Jack into Ardour I get skipping.  Not often but
usually enough times to make it very hard to "play" an mp3 into Ardour
for recording over (maybe 1 time out of 8 will I get it clean).  I have
confirmed that this something in XMMS as I can disconnect Jack & Ardour
and it still does it.   I have also noted that when I close xmms one of
it's libraries remains resident and I have to manually kill -9 <pid>
otherwise Ardour gets sad and xruns on me.  All in all something is not
happy.

I am not sure what's going on.  I do know that I had to go grab an
external version of libmad as when I issue this:
yum install libmad
It comes back as unknown - although this was a few months back and I
don't recall where I got libmad from now.

Just wondered if anyone else had sen this/fixed this or perhaps has
suggestions as to what would be another Jack "aware" mp3 player I could
try when "playing" mp3 into Ardour?

Any advice or thoughts gratefully received.

On a side note, does anyone have any suggestions on getting mp3 import
support into Audacity without having to build from scratch.  I can
export a wav to mp3 just fine but can't import an mp3.  It states no mp3
support compiled in.  That makes me wonder about my libmad/lame
environment so thought it might worth mentioning...

Regards,

Jim