[PlanetCCRMA] (OT) yum dependency problems following power cut

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Mon Aug 11 12:47:31 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 20:36 +0200, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
[snipped loads of stuff, basically summarising a problem with messed-up
dependencies and duplicated packages following a poorly-timed power cut]

> > Which (packages) should I remove, and how?
>
> I don't remember exactly what I did in a similar situation. "glibc"
> could be tricky because without it pretty much nothing will work (I
> think). Backup your stuff and have a recovery cd handy...
>
> After writing the stuff below[*] I looked again at "man package-cleanup"
> and found it has a "--cleandupes" option that supposedly will erase
> older versions of duplicated packages. I have never tried to use it so I
> don't know if it is the best option, specially for something like glibc.
> I imagine it could do the right thing and then you could try another
> upgrade...

Well, I don't really need a backup because all of my important documents
are on another disk. I only upgraded to Fedora 9 a month or two ago, and
I could probably have everything reinstalled and configured in a couple
of weeks.

So, I decided to be brave!

I looked at the man page for myself, then did a 'package-cleanup
--cleandupes". It gave me a list of packages it was going to remove,
then asked me for confirmation. I said 'yes' and there was some disk
activity...

Then I got my command prompt back and sent a 'yum update'. It's just
finished updating all the packages, and I've also installed gnucash,
which was failing yesterday.

Thank you for all the help. I never would have thought it would be so
simple to fix. Sorry to clog up the list with something unrelated.

Regards,
Michael