[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading a PlanetCCRMA box

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 20:51:14 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 8:29 PM, steve linabery <slinabery at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 12:52 -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:
>>> Is it possible to use the Fedora preupgrade tool to go from a
>>> PlanetCCRMA Fedora 7 box to 8?  Do I need to disable the CCRMA repos
>>> first?  Uninstall CCRMA packages?
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried?  Any gotchas?
>>
>> I think I updated my f7 laptop to f8 using yum. I don't remember exactly
>> what I did :-( There are some guides online that tell you what to do, I
>> seem to remember I followed one. If you google you will find several...
>>
>> One in the fedoraproject site is here:
>>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>>
>> I do remember I did it from runlevel 3 (not in a full X login but a text
>> console). Safer that way just in case something messes up X during the
>> upgrade.
>>
>> -- Fernando

> This may be obvious, but be sure to back up your home directories (and
> any relevant config files in /etc, etc.). I've never had a yum upgrade
> complete successfully. And I've had a few anaconda-based upgrades fail
> miserably as well.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Steve

I used yum to go from 4 to 7 (on a box without CCRMA), and preupgrade
to go from 7 to 9.  No real problems with either.  I was really just
wondering if should disable any repos before doing the upgrade, but so
far no one is recommending that.

I'm not sure if I'll do it though, since my F7/CCRMA box is working
very well at the moment.